Near Farnham, Surrey, in England, there is a small cave in the sandstone cliff of the Wey Valley at Moor Park, known as Mother Ludlam’s Cave or Mother Ludlum’s Hole. There are numerous stories about the origins of the cave. There was a monk named Symon who in 1218 described the cave as having a spring that supplied Waverley Abbey. Throughout the centuries there were a lot of different legends about the cave.
One such story was recorded in the 17th century, about a friendly, old, white witch called Mother Ludlam who used to live in the cave. Mother Ludlam was known in the local village as someone who would lend the people whatever they needed only when under the condition that they would return it within two days.